SERVING IN WEAVERVILLE SINCE 1953
From its humble beginnings in Myrtle Everest's kitchen to the present three-building campus (including the brand new seven thousand square foot Family Life Center), First Baptist Church has seen many blessings and changes. In the late 1940's when Myrtle and family moved to Weaverville she began holding Sunday School classes around her kitchen table for her four children. Soon others began to visit them on Sunday mornings. One of the things Myrtle emphasized in addition to sound Bible teaching was missions. They took regular offerings and sent them to the American Board of Missions to the Jews, the Old Fashioned Revival Hour, By-Way Evangelism, and the China Inland Mission.
In 1957 the church called Pastor Paul Richins to serve. He and his wife, Beverly remained until 1978, and substantial growth was seen during that time. Considerable emphasis was placed on missions all through the years with a steady increase in the amount of money being sent. In 1977 the church began putting aside funds for a building program that began in 1979.
Following Pastor Richins, Gary Posenjak was called to be pastor in July of 1979. During the time Pastor Gary and his wife Margo were here, the present sanctuary was built. The building was completed in January of 1981 and was debt free.
Pastor Ken Hayes was called to serve the church in January of 1990. He, his wife Silvia and family remained until August 1993.
On January 1, 1994 Pastor Ron Graham, his wife Janelle, and sons Ben and Tim came to Weaverville to serve. They ministered here until May 21, 2006.
In March of 2007, Jay Underwood was called to shepherd the flock here in Weaverville. He, along with his wife Julie and 3 children arrived on June 17th and he officially began his pastorate at FBCW on July 1st.
"..being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6